At Undywears, we’re huge fans of jockstraps for men. It’s no secret that both me and Doug are major proponents for jockstraps, and we believe that the modern man needs this crucial piece of underwear in their cupboards.
A Jockstrap is basically an inner garment designed to protect the penis and testes of men during physical activities. The activities may include contact sports, cycling, or even other robust physical activities. It involves a waistband accompanied by a support pouch to carry the genitalia.
There are also two elastic straps attached to the Pouch’s base and to the right and left sides of the waistband around the hip. The waistband is commonly elastic. There are varieties of Pouch that might be fitting along with a pocket for holding the abdominal guard to protect the genitalia from possible injuries.
A Little History – The jockstrap came into existence during 1874. Male cyclists at that time were bouncing all along streets of Boston Cobblestone. Then the company of Bike Web stepped to the front line to offer support. The company of Bike has continued to keep the momentum of being the world’s largest distributor of jockstraps.
There are also some other common questions related to jockstraps that are often floating here. Most of them are in the discussion below:
Here's our editor-recommended jockstraps for different uses
What Are Jockstraps Used For?
Jockstraps are usable for a plethora of reasons. Those are discussed below:
- Workout – Jockstraps are excellent for working out. It is like your best friend if you are a gym rat. It provides support for your private parts during your workout. The security it offers in keeping your genitalia in one place is great. You can always focus easily on your breathing and reps now.
- Post-Vasectomy protection – Urologists recommend the use of jockstraps for patients that have recently undergone a vasectomy. The jockstrap prevent blunt trauma and abrasion of your private parts after the surgery, and keeps your junk supported.
- Support – Jockstraps don’t just provide excellent support during workouts but for everyday usages as well. It gives men a snug place to hang out all through the day. Most men tend to wear a jockstrap followed by compression shorts over it to offer extra support instead of a cup. This prevents your balls from sagging over time. The Cups are usually used and preferred in case of contact sports.
- Comfort – One word that defines jockstraps is “Comfort.” They allow the backside to be bare while hugging your waist perfectly. Jockstraps can only restrict or pinch you if when you buy the wrong sizes. Sometimes you will feel like you are not wearing anything as it is very light.
- Dry Purposes – It will keep you dry due to the absence of fabric in the back. It won’t absorb sweat during workouts and keeps your genitalia dry. You can easily get through the summer heat and workout sessions with ease now.
- Reduction in Chaffing – It helps decrease chaffing because they are snug and unmovable. They don’t produce any friction as the normal underwear does. You can easily go for a walk at the theme park or anywhere without having to worry about chafing.
- Safety Purposes – It permits you to put on a cup into the fabric for the sole purpose of protecting the private parts. You can comfortably play contact sports for fun or professionally and feel safe.
- No More Bunching – Jockstraps are excellent for men that are into tight pants. The absence of fabric at the back will eliminate bunching and boxer lines. You don’t have to worry about how your bottoms look anymore.
- Free Movement – It is non-restricting and allows you to move freely. Nothing is as annoying as tight underwear that restricts your movements. The bands of the garment fit snug right under your cheeks, permitting you to move in any way that you want.
The Not So Obvious Uses of a Jockstrap
- Appeal – Both men and women tend to find jockstraps sexy. It can instantly spice things up in your bedroom. It is the perfect garment to surprise your partner under the sheets. The sex appeal that comes with jockstraps is unparalleled. An anonymous study showed that girls actually secretly liked how special men looked while wearing the jockstrap, and has rated it as sexy as g-string underwear for men.
- Masculinity – There are men out there that wear cup jockstraps regularly. They don’t just wear it for sports but on a daily basis as well. They wear it like that to augment the masculine appearance in them. It makes their junk look bigger, alike to wearing a c-ring underwear or manhood enhancing underwear.
- Massive Inventory – Jockstraps are available in variety for purchase. You can get jockstraps with strings, bands or elastic bands. It also comes in different colors, themes, and patterns, as well.
- Authenticity – The global population doesn’t really favor jockstraps for day-to-day wear. You can only hear about its popularity in the sports world. It is used by people as daily wear to stand out and be unique.
- Medical Reasons – Jockstraps are imperative during injuries or to prevent injuries. It will make sense if you ever get kneed in your crotch, which might happen during contact sports. It is always important to have at least one in your closet, even though you don’t wear it as regular underwear.
How to Size and Wear a Jockstrap?
You can wear a jockstrap for either sports or fashion. You can follow the steps mentioned below to get the process right.
Wearing a Jockstrap for Sports – Jockstraps are mandatory for any sport that involves running like basketball, track, or field. A Cup is necessary in case of contact sports or any type of sport that involves your balls to move rapidly.
You should go for a jockstrap that fits perfectly. The waist size, as well as the comfort of the Pouch, should be taken into consideration. The jockstrap should hold the private parts by lifting it close to your body tightly. It is required to keep it out of the way when you move. It shouldn’t be too tight as chaffing can easily lead to jock itching.
You need to decide if you want to wear a cup. They are advisable for any type of sport that involves contact and speeding projectiles that includes hockey, football, soccer, mixed martial arts, and baseball.
Now you have to choose your Cup. All the cups differ according to the sport. So, you have to be specific about the Cup you are going for. You should always consider the level of protection and comfort the Cup offers.
You should always make sure that your jockstrap is tight enough to prevent your Cup from twisting and rolling. We advise you to go for cups that have cushion-type edges because a hard edge cup will transfer the blowing force to the pelvic part.
The one with the soft edge offers improved cushioning when you meet with an impact. You can always consider a titanium cup for sports such as lacrosse and baseball for maximum protection.
The last thing you have to do is to wear a short compression right over your Cup jockstrap in case your cup jockstrap is loose-fitting and do not hold the Cup tightly against your body.
Wearing a Jockstrap for Fashion – Yes! Wearing a jockstrap as a regular undergarment is becoming a thing too. It is trendy among men due to their comfort and appearance.
You have to start by checking the comfortableness of your jockstrap. Since jockstraps are sized by the waist, you have to make sure that your private parts are comfy and in place.
You also have to check and decide on the style. These fashionable jockstraps don’t just come with the common waistband, two straps, and the Pouch. Some of the fashion jockstraps come with thicker or multiple straps. And the remaining come with materials that assist in shaping the buttocks.
Fashion jockstraps are available in a plethora of materials such as fur, silk, cotton, and mesh. So, you have to choose the preferred material.
Now you have to pick the Pouch’s shape. Since, fashion jockstraps tend to come in multiple shapes that include natural, snug as well as contour. There are some pouches that come in cute plastic cups for aesthetic purposes.
Don’t forget to pick the best brand. There is a certain portion of men that purchase high-end underwear to show off the brand name embedded on the waistband. You can look into popular and relevant brands such as N2N, Jack Adams, Pump! And Baskit, Nasty Pig, and Modus Vivendi.
Why Do You Need a Jockstrap for Exercising?
The decision to wear one or not for exercise depends solely on your personal preference. There are factors that determine whether you should wear one or not, such as the type of clothing you are wearing and what you are doing at that time.
There are activities that make you vulnerable to physical injuries. You can injure the sensitive organs of your body, such as the genitalia. In cases such as this, you would want to consider getting one. You might be lifting weights or be engaging in contact sports that could possibly cause sustainable injuries. That’s why it makes perfect sense to practice caution and be cautious of protecting your private area.
The whole purpose of jockstraps is to hold and keep your genitalia in place. It suppresses any motion that is excessive. For instance, if you are running and you do it every day as a part of your fitness regime, then a jockstrap would keep your private parts tightly intact during excessive movements without causing discomfort. This also applies when you are at the gym executing your exercises.
I don’t really see why jockstrap would be of any problem during exercises. In fact, they help you stay comfy and free on your day-to-day life and workout sessions. They only garner positive responses for the most part. So, using a jockstrap during exercising is a big thumbs up! However, if you aren’t sure if you really require a jockstrap, then you can always approach your coach, personal trainer, or doctor for professional advice.
Why Wear a Jockstrap After Vasectomy?
After a vasectomy, wearing a jockstrap is advised by all urologists for a speedy recovery. It elevates the comfort level and decreases pain post-surgery. You have to realize that there is no “best jockstrap” when it comes to wearing one after a vasectomy is under execution.
Any type of jockstrap will do the trick. It is not the first choice for most men out there, but the solution actually works. It is best if you wear one after you get your vasectomy performed.
Urologists suggest the use of jockstrap after this delicate procedure because it provides comfort.
The adjustable Pouch offers much-needed support and footing for post-surgical care. According to your preferences, the drawstring ties. However, it is very gentle, so it eliminates any sort of irritation. It is imperative during the need for complete isolation, such as recovering from the surgery.
You can wear the jockstrap for both day and night. You should wear it for the time length recommended by your surgeon. This tackle decreases the tension within the spermatic cords, surrounding tissues, the structures running to every testicle, and the blood supply of the testicles. It is advisable to change the underwear daily and also place a bandage right beneath your inner garment for improved support.
The Advantages of Jockstraps
There is an array of advantages of jockstraps. Some of them are in talks down below:
- A Jockstrap inner garment caters entirely to the need and offers excellent support for your lower anatomy.
- The Pouch easily lifts your manhood to a convenient position for your comfort.
- It eradicates the problem of abrasion as well as chaffing because these are the most common problems faced by a lot of men.
- You might notice this at first, but it enhances your personality to a certain extent. It enriches the manly nature concerning your personality.
- Jockstraps completely protect your private parts. The Cup’s design is in such a way that it reduces the chances of injuries.
- It eliminates the problems of fast-moving balls due to excessive movements. Jockstraps keep your private parts fully in place.
- It helps you recover from the surgery of vasectomy. It delicately stores your private parts after the surgery is in completion.
- You will have dry private parts and escape from the problem of sweating due to excessive heat.
Summing it Up!
A Jockstrap is as versatile as it comes. It is usable for fashion, work, and medical purposes. It has a multitude of usages. You should get one at the earliest for your preferred purpose. You can wear them regularly or keep them in the closet for use in a required day. It all depends on your preference and the reason you are utilizing it for. They aren’t just useful, but they come in different sizes, colors, themes, and patterns. So, you should definitely get yours now.